MQTT Publisher errors

michail salichos
Hello,

I am getting random errors using MQTT Publisher processor from v1.0.0.

Although the exceptions are raised, sometimes messages are published, sometimes not. I have not managed to find a pattern nor the cause, it seems to be totally random.

I have tried publishing messages to the same broker, using the same MQTT client configuration (e.g. QoS) and the same credentials using mosquitto_pub and JAVA paho custom client (same version as the one used in NiFI 1.0.0), and everything works well. Only when I use NiFI MQTT publisher I get these errors.

Any tips or hints?

(*)
-MQTT client is disconnected and re-connecting failed. Transferring FlowFile to fail and yielding

or

-o.a.nifi.processors.mqtt.PublishMQTT PublishMQTT[id=f6ee1833-0157-1000-63a0-ad3c0072ca5f] Was disconnected from client or was never connected, attempting to connect

or

-o.a.nifi.processors.mqtt.PublishMQTT PublishMQTT[id=f6f5b090-0157-1000-d924-211d02de8856] Connection to tcp://api-test.iotcloud.swisscom.com:1883 lost
org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.MqttException: Connection lost
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.CommsReceiver.run(CommsReceiver.java:146) [org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3-1.0.2.jar:na]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_91]
Caused by: java.io.EOFException: null
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(DataInputStream.java:267) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.wire.MqttInputStream.readMqttWireMessage(MqttInputStream.java:65) ~[org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3-1.0.2.jar:na]
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.CommsReceiver.run(CommsReceiver.java:107) [org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3-1.0.2.jar:na]
        ... 1 common frames omitted

Re: MQTT Publisher errors

Joe Percivall
Hello,

Sorry you are having problems with PublishMQTT. What MQTT broker are you trying to hit? and could you pass along what configuration you have set (including scheduling tab)? I'd like to try and reproduce if possible.

I'm guessing there is nothing more to that stacktrace? I ask (hoping that there is) because no where in the stacktrace does it indicate a line in the NiFi codebase which would mean it's potentially a timing issue related to the concurrency of background threads. Making it harder to track down and fix.

Any other insight into your configuration/set-up would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
- - - - - -
Joseph Percivall
linkedin.com/in/Percivall

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:10 AM, michail salichos <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

-o.a.nifi.processors.mqtt.PublishMQTT PublishMQTT[id=f6f5b090-0157-1000-d924-211d02de8856] Connection to tcp://<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onclick="return theMainWindow.showLinkWarning(this)" href="http://api-test.iotcloud.swisscom.com:1883/">api-test.iotcloud.swisscom.com:1883 lost
org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.MqttException: Connection lost
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.CommsReceiver.run(CommsReceiver.java:146) [org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3-1.0.2.jar:na]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_91]
Caused by: java.io.EOFException: null
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(DataInputStream.java:267) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.wire.MqttInputStream.readMqttWireMessage(MqttInputStream.java:65) ~[org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3-1.0.2.jar:na]
        at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.CommsReceiver.run(CommsReceiver.java:107) [org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3-1.0.2.jar:na]
        ... 1 common frames omitted

Re: MQTT Publisher errors

michail salichos
False alarm, we had recently enabled client id authentication enabled in our broker and I wasn't aware of it.

Though many thanks for the quick response.

Michail

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Joe Percivall <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Not a problem Michail, glad to hear to hear it wasn't something I messed up, hah! Regardless, thanks for responding and letting us know the reason for the failure.

Feel free to message the list again if you encounter other issues,
Joe
Joseph Percivall
linkedin.com/in/Percivall
e: [hidden email]