Not Seeing Provenance data

Darren Govoni
Hi,
  When I go to "View data provenance" in Nifi, I never see any logs for my flow. Am I missing some configuration setting somewhere?

thanks,
Darren

AW: Not Seeing Provenance data

Dobbernack, Harald (Key-Work)

This is something I experience too from time to time. My quick and dirty workaround is stop nifi, delete everything in the provenance directory, restart….  Then Provenance is usable again (of course only with data since the delete) . I’m hoping very much there is a better way, someone can show us better settings or a potential bug can be discovered…

AW: Not Seeing Provenance data

Dobbernack, Harald (Key-Work)

What I noticed is that as long as provenance is working there will be *.prov files in the directory. When Provenance isn’t working these files are not to be seen. Maybe some Cleaning Process deletes those files prematurely or the process building them doesn’t work any more?

This is something I experience too from time to time. My quick and dirty workaround is stop nifi, delete everything in the provenance directory, restart….  Then Provenance is usable again (of course only with data since the delete) . I’m hoping very much there is a better way, someone can show us better settings or a potential bug can be discovered…

Geschäftsführer: Andreas Stappert, Tobin Wotring

Re: Not Seeing Provenance data

Mark Payne
Hey Daren, Herald,

Thanks for the note. I have seen this once before but couldn’t figure out what caused it. Restarting addressed the issue.

I think I may understand the problem, now, though, after looking at it again.

In nifi.properties, there are a couple of property named “nifi.provenance.repository.max.storage.time” that defaults to “24 hours"
Is it possible that you went 24 hours (or whatever value is set for that property) without generating any Provenance events?

If so, then I think that would understand why it deleted the data. It’s trying to age off old data but unfortunately it doesn’t perform a check to first determine whether or not the “old file” that it’s about to delete is also the “active file”.

Can you confirm whether or not you would expect to see 24 hours pass without any provenance data?

Thanks
-Mark

Key-Work Consulting GmbH | Kriegsstr. 100 | 76133 | Karlsruhe | Germany | <a href="x-msg://13/www.key-work.de" target="_blank" title="Key-Work Consulting GmbH" style="color: rgb(149, 79, 114); text-decoration: underline;" class="">https://www.key-work.de | Datenschutz
Fon: +49-721-78203-264 | E-Mail: [hidden email] | Fax: +49-721-78203-10

Key-Work Consulting GmbH, Karlsruhe, HRB 108695, HRG Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Stappert, Tobin Wotring

AW: Not Seeing Provenance data

Dobbernack, Harald (Key-Work)

Hi Mark,

thank you for looking into this.

The nifi.provenance.repository.max.storage.time setting might explain why I haven’t been experiencing the effect so often since changing from the default to 120 hours a few months ago 😉

But I believe provenance stopped working last time although there was an ‘active’ flows in wait Processor, expiring every hour, going on to ‘send a message’ before being rerouted to the same wait processor. I would have expected this generates provenance entries?  As I am not actually 100% sure if that wait processor was in use when last provenance got lost I will check with a testing system to see if I can reproduce provenance breakage when no active flows are around for a time greater  nifi.provenance.repository.max.storage.time and I will get back to you.

Thank you!

Harald

Key-Work Consulting GmbH | Kriegsstr. 100 | 76133 | Karlsruhe | Germany | <a href="x-msg://13/www.key-work.de" target="_blank" title="Key-Work Consulting GmbH">https://www.key-work.de | Datenschutz
Fon: +49-721-78203-264 | E-Mail: [hidden email] | Fax: +49-721-78203-10

Key-Work Consulting GmbH, Karlsruhe, HRB 108695, HRG Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Stappert, Tobin Wotring

AW: Not Seeing Provenance data

Dobbernack, Harald (Key-Work)

Hi Mark,

I can confirm after testing that if no provenance event has been generated in a time greater than the set nifi.provenance.repository.max.storage.time then as expected the last recorded provenance events don’t exist anymore but also from then on any new provenance events are also not searchable, the provenance Search remains completely empty regardless of how many flows are active.  As described also *.prov file is then missing in provenance repository. After restart of Nifi new prov File will be generated and provenance will work again, but only showing stuff generated since last NiFi Start.

So yes, I’d say your Idea

    ‘If so, then I think that would understand why it deleted the data. It’s trying to age off old data

     but unfortunately it doesn’t perform a check to first determine whether or not the “old file”

     that it’s about to delete is also the “active file”.’

fits very nicely to my test.

As a workaround we’re going to set a greater nifi.provenance.repository.max.storage.time until this can be resolved.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Harald

This is something I experience too from time to time. My quick and dirty workaround is stop nifi, delete everything in the provenance directory, restart….  Then Provenance is usable again (of course only with data since the delete) . I’m hoping very much there is a better way, someone can show us better settings or a potential bug can be discovered…

Re: Not Seeing Provenance data

Mark Payne
Thanks Harald,

I have created a Jira [1] for this. There’s currently a PR up for it as well.

Thanks
-Mark

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-7346

Key-Work Consulting GmbH | Kriegsstr. 100 | 76133 | Karlsruhe | Germany | <a href="x-msg://13/www.key-work.de" target="_blank" title="Key-Work Consulting GmbH" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">https://www.key-work.de | Datenschutz
Fon: +49-721-78203-264 | E-Mail: [hidden email] | Fax: +49-721-78203-10

Key-Work Consulting GmbH, Karlsruhe, HRB 108695, HRG Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Stappert, Tobin Wotring

AW: Not Seeing Provenance data

Dobbernack, Harald (Key-Work)

Hey Mark,

great news and thank you very much!

Happy Holidays!

Harald

This is something I experience too from time to time. My quick and dirty workaround is stop nifi, delete everything in the provenance directory, restart….  Then Provenance is usable again (of course only with data since the delete) . I’m hoping very much there is a better way, someone can show us better settings or a potential bug can be discovered…

Re: Not Seeing Provenance data

Wyllys Ingersoll
I have a similar problem with viewing provenance.  I have a 3-node cluster in a kubernetes environment, the provenance_repository directory for each node is on a persistent data store so it is not deleted or lost between container restarts (which are not very common).  My nifi.provenance.repository.max.storage.time is 24 hours.

Whenever I try to view any provenance, nothing is ever shown.  If I manually inspect the provenance_repository directory, there is a lucene index and TOC being created.

I see log messages like these:

Submitting query +processorId:882133fe-b684-148b-ad88-7850437ca591 with identifier 64a703fe-0171-1000-0000-000065abd91a against index directories [./provenance_repository/lucene-8-index-1560864819888]
Returning the following list of index locations because they were finished being written to before 1586531601311: []
Found no events in the Provenance Repository. In order to perform maintenace of the indices, will assume that the first event time is now (1586531601311)

Any suggestions?

-Wyllys Ingersoll

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:25 AM Dobbernack, Harald (Key-Work) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Mark,

great news and thank you very much!

Happy Holidays!

Harald

This is something I experience too from time to time. My quick and dirty workaround is stop nifi, delete everything in the provenance directory, restart….  Then Provenance is usable again (of course only with data since the delete) . I’m hoping very much there is a better way, someone can show us better settings or a potential bug can be discovered…

Re: Not Seeing Provenance data

Darren Govoni
It would seem the feature is either broken completely or only works in specific conditions.

Can the Nifi team put a fix on their road map for this?
Its a rather central feature to Nifi.

[...]

It never has worked for me with a simple, out of the box install on one machine in EC2.

But there should be a configuration that keeps the last X hours of provenance. NOT based on wall clock time.

For example. I want the last 24 hours of provenance regardless if the last time a processor ran was 3 days ago. So it would be relative to the latest logged data.

This is something I experience too from time to time. My quick and dirty workaround is stop nifi, delete everything in the provenance directory, restart….  Then Provenance is usable again (of course only with data since the delete) . I’m hoping very much there is a better way, someone can show us better settings or a potential bug can be discovered…

Re: Not Seeing Provenance data

Patrick Timmins

Is the underlying storage for the four repositories (provenance, database, flowfile, and content) consistent within a node?

Are all three nodes in the cluster using the same type of underlying storage/device for the various NiFi repositories?

On 4/11/2020 8:45 AM, Wyllys Ingersoll wrote:
[...]

Yes. Didn't change anything. Just unzipped the nifi distro onto a big partition and ran it as is.

This is something I experience too from time to time. My quick and dirty workaround is stop nifi, delete everything in the provenance directory, restart….  Then Provenance is usable again (of course only with data since the delete) . I’m hoping very much there is a better way, someone can show us better settings or a potential bug can be discovered…

This is something I experience too from time to time. My quick and dirty workaround is stop nifi, delete everything in the provenance directory, restart….  Then Provenance is usable again (of course only with data since the delete) . I’m hoping very much there is a better way, someone can show us better settings or a potential bug can be discovered…

Re: Not Seeing Provenance data

Jairo Henao
Hi,

I went from an instance without security to one where I configured HTTPS. After enabling security with policies and users, I couldn't check the provenance with the admin user.

When I added the following policy, the provenance was again visible to me (I don't know if this is documented anywhere):

<policy identifier="e097fd1d-0171-1000-fc74-4ca6dc8b3aed" resource="/provenance-data/process-groups/<<MAIN_GROUP_ID>>" action="R">
            <user identifier="<<USER_IDENTIFIER>>"/>
        </policy>

--
Saludos

Jairo Henao