PutS3Object error

John Burns
Hi,

I have a workflow that compresses an file then invokes PutS3Object to store in an S3 bucket. This processor works fine in a non-proxy environment,  where PutS3Object is parameterised correctly with the proxy settings, but in a proxy environment I get the following error shown in the stack trace.

Testing from the AWS cli tools, I need to use the --no-verify-ssl  parameter:

aws s3 ls --no-verify-ssl s3://nifibucket/

Is there an equivalent "--no-verify-ss"for the PutS3Object processor?

Thanks

John

ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-10] o.a.nifi.processors.aws.s3.PutS3Object PutS3Object[id=26ea1644-0158-1000-be29-271b59722ea4] Failed to put StandardFlowFileRecord[uuid=72488dde-07c8-4236-8116-bd8b34d93716,claim=StandardContentClaim [resourceClaim=StandardResourceClaim[id=1478122984174-68, container=default, section=68], offset=233361, length=34033],offset=0,name=bbctext.gz,size=34033] to Amazon S3 due to com.amazonaws.AmazonClientException: Unable to execute HTTP request: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target: com.amazonaws.AmazonClientException: Unable to execute HTTP request: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
2016-11-03 12:49:50,876 ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-10] o.a.nifi.processors.aws.s3.PutS3Object
com.amazonaws.AmazonClientException: Unable to execute HTTP request: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
        at com.amazonaws.http.AmazonHttpClient.executeHelper(AmazonHttpClient.java:706) ~[aws-java-sdk-core-1.11.8.jar:na]
        at com.amazonaws.http.AmazonHttpClient.doExecute(AmazonHttpClient.java:447) ~[aws-java-sdk-core-1.11.8.jar:na]
        at com.amazonaws.http.AmazonHttpClient.executeWithTimer(AmazonHttpClient.java:409) ~[aws-java-sdk-core-1.11.8.jar:na]
        at com.amazonaws.http.AmazonHttpClient.execute(AmazonHttpClient.java:358) ~[aws-java-sdk-core-1.11.8.jar:na]
        at com.amazonaws.services.s3.AmazonS3Client.invoke(AmazonS3Client.java:3787) ~[aws-java-sdk-s3-1.11.8.jar:na]
        at com.amazonaws.services.s3.AmazonS3Client.putObject(AmazonS3Client.java:1399) ~[aws-java-sdk-s3-1.11.8.jar:na]
        at org.apache.nifi.processors.aws.s3.PutS3Object$1.process(PutS3Object.java:451) ~[nifi-aws-processors-1.0.0.jar:1.0.0]
        at org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.StandardProcessSession.read(StandardProcessSession.java:1880) ~[na:na]
        at org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.StandardProcessSession.read(StandardProcessSession.java:1851) ~[na:na]
        at org.apache.nifi.processors.aws.s3.PutS3Object.onTrigger(PutS3Object.java:401) ~[nifi-aws-processors-1.0.0.jar:1.0.0]
        at org.apache.nifi.processor.AbstractProcessor.onTrigger(AbstractProcessor.java:27) [nifi-api-1.0.0.jar:1.0.0]
        at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.onTrigger(StandardProcessorNode.java:1064) [nifi-framework-core-1.0.0.jar:1.0.0]
        at org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.call(ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.java:136) [nifi-framework-core-1.0.0.jar:1.0.0]
        at org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.call(ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.java:47) [nifi-framework-core-1.0.0.jar:1.0.0]
        at org.apache.nifi.controller.scheduling.TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent$1.run(TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent.java:132) [nifi-framework-core-1.0.0.jar:1.0.0]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [na:1.8.0_60]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308) [na:1.8.0_60]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [na:1.8.0_60]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294) [na:1.8.0_60]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [na:1.8.0_60]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.ja

Re: PutS3Object error

James Wing
The short answer is no, PutS3Object does not currently support a direct equivalent of the AWS CLI's --no-verify-ssl option.  There is an option to provide your own SSLContextService, if you need to establish trust with your proxy server (maybe, I'm not sure).

https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.ssl.StandardSSLContextService/index.html

Can you share a bit more about your use case and proxy setup?  I know there are other NiFi installations using proxy servers against S3, and I do not believe they have had this problem.

Last, I believe I foolishly stated in an earlier email that the AWS CLI was a good comparison tool, but I might have to flip-flop now that we're bringing proxy settings and SSL verification into the picture.  Are you sure the CLI is using your proxy similarly?

Thanks,

James

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 5:58 AM, John Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi James

Yes, happy to share the configuration we use:

We have an institute-wide proxy server that requires user credentials for each request (domain, uname, passwd, port 80 and 443 only). We run NiFi on Linux hosts using cntlm as the local proxy. Users provide their domain, uname and passwd to cntlm, and point their applications to localhost:3128 as the proxy, and cntlm sends on the proper credentials to the actual proxy for each request (if that is clear). We point GetHTTP processors etc to cntlm and it works fine, even for https web pages.

We have one cert that is imported into browsers, and again, all browsers point to localhost:3128 as the proxy. This seems to work fine, we just export http_proxy=localhost:3128 and https_proxy=localhost:3128 at the bash shell.

AWS endpoints are https and unfortunately aws command line tools now only work when we specify --no-verify-ssl option, otherwise we get the following error:

[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590)

So I was wondering what further configuration steps I need to take to get S3/SQS working behind our proxy.

Many thanks

John

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 6:42 PM, James Wing <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John,

If I understand correctly, your ListS3/PutS3Object processors are configured with the local cntlm settings?

Proxy Host: localhost
Proxy Host Port: 3128

And have you tried hitting the us-east-1 endpoint by comparison (Google searching suggests variance in CA cert acceptance)?

Thanks,

James