kafka-clients version

christophe.monnet

Hi

Any reason why nifi-kafka-bundle is still bundled with kafka-clients-2.0.0.jar and not a newer version?

Regards

Chris

Re: kafka-clients version

Bryan Bende
Usually we make a new version of the processors when something changes that causes a previous version of the client to not work well with the newer broker (i.e. 0.9 client with 0.10 broker, in the older versions).

The latest processors are named with "2_0" so not sure if it makes sense to upgrade the client lib and then the name is no longer accurate, plus we'd have to be sure the latest 2.x client also works well with all previous 2.x versions back to 2.0.

The other option is to make a new copy of the processor like "2_5" or whatever the latest version is, but I think we only want to do this if it's really necessary. AFAIK the 2.0 client works with the latest 2.x brokers.

Is there any specific issue you are looking to solve by using the latest client?

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 8:20 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

Any reason why nifi-kafka-bundle is still bundled with kafka-clients-2.0.0.jar and not a newer version?

Regards

Chris

RE: kafka-clients version

christophe.monnet

Yes: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9815

> we'd have to be sure the latest 2.x client also works well with all previous 2.x versions back to 2.0

I think kafka-clients should make sure of that.

The processors could still be named 2_0, it’s only the client jar that should be the latest 2.x version.

Specifically https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-kafka-bundle/pom.xml#L31

Regards

Chris

Chris

Re: kafka-clients version

Bryan Bende
Gotcha. Yes, we can obviously change the version of the client lib, but it's misleading because they were named "2_0" because they use the "2_0" client, and now that won't be true anymore, but if others agree with this then maybe it's fine.

Maybe more of a question for the dev list.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 9:28 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9815

> we'd have to be sure the latest 2.x client also works well with all previous 2.x versions back to 2.0

I think kafka-clients should make sure of that.

The processors could still be named 2_0, it’s only the client jar that should be the latest 2.x version.

Specifically https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-kafka-bundle/pom.xml#L31

Regards

Chris

Chris

Re: kafka-clients version

Joe Witt
We should make a new nar and processor name and drop ine of the older nars.

Thanks